How To Fix 'Exceeds 20 Megapixels' on Shopify?
Are you trying to upload images and getting an error message that says 'Exceeds 20 Megapixels' on Shopify?
Don't worry, this is a common problem encountered by merchants on the platform. Shopify images sizes can be somewhat confusing.
In this post, we'll show you 6 methods to troubleshoot the annoying 'exceeds 20 megapixels' error and upload your images.
Let's jump in.
What Does the “Exceeds 20 Megapixels” Error Mean in Shopify?
The "Exceeds 20 Megapixels" error in Shopify means that the image you are attempting to upload or use for a product exceeds the platform's specified image size limit.
In this context:
- Megapixels refer to the total number of pixels in an image. One megapixel is equal to one million pixels.
- 20 megapixels means that the maximum resolution for an image is 20 million pixels.
If your image's dimensions or resolution exceed this limit, Shopify will not accept it. This restriction is in place to optimize website performance and loading times, as very large images can slow down your online store and create a poor user experience.
To resolve this error, you'll need to resize or compress the image to meet Shopify's requirements, as mentioned in the earlier responses. This typically involves reducing the image's dimensions or decreasing its quality slightly to fit within the 20-megapixel limit while maintaining an acceptable level of visual quality.
Let's cover how to do that now:
How to Fix the 'Exceeds 20 Megapixels' on Shopify
Resize the Image With Photoshop or Canva
Resizing images for your Shopify store is essential for optimizing page loading times, improving user experience, and ensuring your website runs smoothly. Here are some best practices, tools, and an example to guide you through the process:
Best Practices for Resizing Images:
- Maintain Aspect Ratio: When resizing images, it's crucial to maintain the original aspect ratio (the proportional relationship between width and height) to avoid distortion. Scaling images uniformly ensures they still look visually appealing.
- Choose the Right Dimensions: Determine the optimal image dimensions based on your theme and design. Shopify recommends a maximum image size of 2048 x 2048 pixels for square product images and 2048 x 1536 pixels for rectangular images.
- Image File Format: Use the appropriate file format for your images. JPEG is suitable for photographs, while PNG is best for images with transparency, such as logos.
- Compression: Compress your images to reduce file size while maintaining acceptable quality. Striking the right balance between file size and image quality is key. Lossless compression retains image quality, while lossy compression reduces file size but can result in some quality loss.
Best Tools for Resizing and Compressing Images:
There's several tools you can use to resize images - here's our four top picks:
- Adobe Photoshop: A professional image editing software that allows you to resize and compress images while maintaining quality.
- Canva: A user-friendly online tool that provides resizing and compression options. Canva is great for non-designers & the basic plan is also free to use.
- TinyPNG/TinyJPG: Online tools for compressing PNG and JPEG images. They use smart compression techniques to reduce file size without a noticeable loss in quality.
- ImageOptim: A free desktop application for macOS that optimizes images by reducing their file size.
Let's Look at an Example Fix
Let's say you have a product image that's 4000 x 3000 pixels and exceeds Shopify's recommended maximum dimensions of 2048 x 1536 pixels. Here's how you can resize it using a tool like Canva:
- Upload the Image: Go to Canva (canva.com) and create a free account if you don't have one. Then, click on "Create a design" and choose "Custom dimensions."
- Set the New Dimensions: Enter the new dimensions, e.g., 2048 x 1536 pixels, and create a new design.
- Upload Your Image: Click on the "Uploads" tab, and then drag and drop your large image into the Canva design canvas.
- Resize and Crop: Adjust the image within the canvas to fit the new dimensions. Canva provides visual guides to help you align and resize the image proportionally.
- Download the Resized Image: Once you're satisfied with the resized image, click "Download" and choose the appropriate format (JPEG or PNG) and quality settings. Shopify prefers JPEG for product images.
- Upload to Shopify: Now, you can upload the resized image to your Shopify store.
Remember: always keep backups of your original high-resolution images in case you need them for other purposes in the future.
Other Ways to Fix the 'Exceeds 20 Megapixels' Error
Use Shopify's Image Resizer
Shopify has an free image resizer that automatically resizes images to improve loading times. You can use Shopify’s online image resizer and optimizer tool to give your digital images the perfect size and configuration to suit a wide range of applications. Whether it’s for a social media profile, product photo for your online store, or an e-newsletter, fast and easy image resizing makes your life easier.
Use a Third-Party Shopify App
There are third-party apps available on the Shopify App Store that can help optimize images. These apps can automatically resize and compress your product images. They're especially useful if you have a lot of images - as these apps can handle bulk resizing with ease.
Note: Double Check Theme Requirements
Sometimes, the theme you are using in Shopify might have its own image size requirements. Make sure to consult your theme's documentation to ensure you are using images that align with its recommendations.
If All Else Fails, Contact Shopify Support
If you've tried the above steps and are still having issues, it's a good idea to reach out to Shopify's support team. They can provide specific assistance based on your unique situation.
Fix Your Images For Shopify Today
In the world of e-commerce, image optimization is paramount. Understanding and adhering to Shopify's 20 megapixel limit ensures your online store runs smoothly while delivering visually stunning product displays. By resizing and compressing images effectively, you can create a seamless shopping experience that captivates customers and boosts conversions.
Exceeds 20 Megapixels Shopify FAQ
What is the 20 megapixel limit on Shopify?
The 20 megapixel limit on Shopify refers to the maximum image resolution allowed for product images on the platform. It's a restriction in place to optimize website performance and ensure fast loading times.
How do I exceed the maximum image resolution of 20 MP in Shopify?
You may exceed the maximum image resolution of 20 MP in Shopify unintentionally when using high-resolution images, often captured by professional cameras or generated by graphic design software. These images can contain more detail than necessary for web display, leading to larger file sizes that may slow down your online store's loading times. It's important to optimize images to strike a balance between visual quality and website performance.
What is the maximum megapixel size for Shopify?
Shopify's maximum megapixel size for images is 20 megapixels. This means that product images should not exceed 20 million pixels in total.
What does 20 megapixels mean?
20 megapixels (MP) represents the total number of pixels in an image. Specifically, one megapixel is equivalent to one million pixels. So, 20 megapixels equals 20 million pixels in an image.