The 9 Best Shopify Subscription Apps to Build Recurring Revenue
If you're reading this, it's likely that you're looking for a Shopify subscription app that can help you manage your recurring revenue streams.
And with subscription commerce projected to grow from a cool $120 billion last year, to eye-watering $904 billion by 2026, you’ve got the right idea!
But let's face it, with so many subscription apps out there, it can be overwhelming to choose the best one for your Shopify store.
But don't worry, we've got you covered! In this post, we're going to review 11 of the top Shopify subscription apps on the market and help you make an informed decision about which one is right for you.
Whether you're looking for a subscription app that's easy to use, super customizable, or cost-effective (even free!), you’ll find the app for you in this post.
So sit back, grab a cup of coffee or tea (possibly from your favorite subscription service), and get ready to choose the best Shopify subscription app for your ecommerce store.
Let's dive in!
What is a Subscription App for Shopify?
A subscription app for Shopify is a handy tool that lets you offer customers the option to sign up for recurring payments and receive products or services on a regular basis without having to lift a finger (well, except to sign up, of course!).
With a subscription app, you can create different subscription models, such as monthly, quarterly, or yearly subscriptions, and even let customers pause or cancel their subscriptions at any time. It's a win-win for everyone involved - customers get a convenient service, and you get a steady revenue stream.
But that's not all. Offering a subscription service can also help you build customer loyalty and retention. By providing a convenient and personalized service, you're more likely to keep customers coming back for more. And the best part? Subscription apps can also help you collect valuable customer data that can be used to improve your marketing strategies and product offerings.
So whether you're selling t-shirts, coffee, beauty products, or online courses, a subscription app for Shopify can help you take your business to the next level. Let's take a closer look at how to choose the best app for your Shopify store.
How to Choose the Best Subscription App for Shopify
We used five criteria when reviewing the apps listed below. You can use this framework to assess each app and choose the most appropriate one for your business.
1. Ease of use & integrations: No one wants to spend hours trying to figure out a new app, right? Look for a subscription app that's easy to use and integrates seamlessly with your existing Shopify store. Apps that offer more integrations (e.g. email and bookkeeping) can save you a ton of time.
2. Customization options: Your brand is unique, so you'll want a subscription app that allows you to customize the look and feel of your subscription offerings. Look for an app that gives you control over everything from the products you offer to the frequency of shipments.
3. Customer support: Even the best apps can have hiccups from time to time. That's why it's important to choose a subscription app with great customer support. Look for an app that offers fast response times, helpful resources, and a friendly team to assist you when you need it.
4. Pricing: Of course, pricing is a key factor when choosing a subscription app. Look for an app that fits within your budget, while also providing the features and functionality you need to run a successful subscription program.
5. Reviews and ratings: Finally, don't forget to check out reviews and ratings from other Shopify merchants who have used the subscription app you're considering. Look for apps with high ratings and positive reviews, as these are often a good indicator of a quality product.
With these points in mind, let’s jump in and discover our top picks for the best Shopify subscription apps on the market.
The 9 Best Shopify Subscription Apps to Launch Your Subscription Business
Since no two businesses are the same, it's unlikely that the best Shopify subscription app is the same for every context.
Below, we test each app and discuss the merits of each one so you can make the best selection for your own store and goals. Let's jump in!
1. Recharge – Trusted by industry leading brands
ReCharge is the leading subscription app for Shopify and for good reason. It packs a host of powerful features. Plus, it’s trusted by some of the most successful subscription-based brands in the world - like toilet paper retailer ‘Who gives a crap’ (pictured above).
Probably the best thing about ReCharge is its user-friendly customer portal that makes managing subscriptions a snap.
ReCharge also has flexible subscription options, which give customers the ability to pause, skip, or modify their subscriptions. This can help improve customer retention and keep them coming back for more.
- Set up your subscription quickly and easily with ReCharge, so you can start offering subscriptions to your customers right away.
- ReCharge integrates seamlessly with Shopify Payments and Shopify Checkout, allowing you to manage all of your transactions in one place.
- Enhance your subscription offering and improve your customer experience with ReCharge's integration with top apps like Klaviyo, Yotpo, Gorgias, and more.
- Increase your revenue potential with one-time product upsells, available through ReCharge.
- Keep your customers informed with automatic notifications that let them know when their subscription is renewing or shipping, so they're always up to date.
- Give your customers the flexibility they want with the ability to easily skip or reschedule deliveries, as well as swap products as needed.
- Reduce failed transactions with ReCharge's automatic payment retries, so you can ensure that your customers' subscriptions are always up to date.
- Monitor your subscription performance and make informed decisions with ReCharge's analytics dashboard.
User Rating: 4.6/5 (1,400+)
2. Appstle Subscriptions – The highest rated app on the market
If you're looking for a Shopify subscription app that gives you more control over your subscription frequency and discounts, Appstle is definitely worth considering. This app is the highest rated subscription app on the app store and allows you to customize your subscriptions to fit your business needs.
One thing that sets Appstle apart is that customers aren't limited to subscription products in their carts. This means they can combine their one-time purchases with a new subscription, making it easier for them to get everything they need in one go.
In addition to this, Appstle also offers inventory forecasting to help you maintain stock levels for popular items. With detailed reporting on customers and revenue, tracking performance is simple and easy. Overall, Appstle is a great choice for businesses looking to add subscriptions to their online store.
- Very affordable tiered pricing options (Free for new stores)
- 0% transaction fees for transparent and simple payment
- Flexible options to set custom subscription frequency and discounts
- Seamlessly integrate with Shopify Checkout
- Combine subscription products and one-time purchases in a single cart
- Customize shipping profiles to fit your business needs
- Dunning management to capture failed payments
- Inventory forecasting tool to help you stay stocked with popular items
- Get 24/7 live chat support for assistance and troubleshooting.
User Rating: 4.9 (2,000+ reviews)
3. Yotpo Subscriptions – The up & coming subscription app
Yotpo are well known for their amazing reviews app. But their newest subscription app is built to the same high standard and impressed us while reviewing it.
The app offers a range of features including customizable subscription plans, automatic billing, and advanced customer management tools.
One of the standout features of Yotpo Subscriptions is its ability to integrate with the Yotpo Reviews app, allowing merchants to collect and display reviews for their subscription products without lifting a finger. It also includes analytics and reporting tools to help merchants track the performance of their subscription products and make data-driven decisions.
Plus we also liked that Yotpo Subscriptions charges no monthly fee. Users pay 1% of their subscription revenue once they’re generating over $500 from their subscription program.
- Easy 8-minute onboarding with 5 simple steps to launch subscriptions, without requiring any coding skills.
- Customers can conveniently add, change or cancel their subscriptions for a hassle-free experience.
- Automated SMS updates are sent to keep customers informed and subscribed for longer, enhancing customer loyalty.
- Quick 48-hour done-for-you migration available from any Shopify subscription solution.
- 24/7 live-chat customer support, with strategists available to help you get started.
User Rating: 4.5/5 (90)
4. Bold Subscriptions - The best for complete customizability
Bold Subscriptions offers an awesome subscription service for brands who full control over their subscription service.
You can customize your subscription service to your liking with Bold's APIs, webhooks, and dev tools. You can even add nifty features like ordering through SMS or smart devices. Bold makes it easy to make your subscription service uniquely yours.
Plus, you can get started quickly and easily with Bold's simple set-up process and migrate subscribers from other platforms to kickstart your program without any hassle. And what’s more, Bold matches your theme upon installation for a seamlessly native experience for customers.
- Quick and easy set up with core features available right away
- Customer portal for a seamless subscription experience
- APIs and developer tools for to create any subscription experience you want
- Cancellation flows and automatic dunning management to retain subscribers
- Same-day migration from other subscription apps on and off Shopify
User Rating: 4.2/5 (290)
5. PayWhirl – A lightweight app that won’t slow down your store
Paywhirl has several cool features such as allowing you to accept both subscription and one-time payments. Paywhirls also integrates with a wide range of payment gateways and can accept all major credit cards and electronic checks.
On the marketing side, PayWhirl offers customizable emails and invoices to enhance communication with customers & keep things on-brand.
Additionally, the app provides insights into monthly recurring revenue, annualized run rate, and other stats geared specifically toward subscription businesses. PayWhirl also offers predictive growth and forecasting to help merchants ensure they are headed in the right direction.
- Easily save payment methods and apply subscription discounts
- Reduce churn rates with automatic payment retries and cancellation flows
- Customize over 10 notification templates for effective communication with customers
- Gain powerful insights with subscription analytics, churn statistics, and data exports
- Get free migrations and US-based support through chat, email, or phone
User Rating: 4.8/5 (180)
6. RecurringGO! Subscriptions - A great all-rounder with solid reviews
RecurrinGO! offers automatic payment and recurring invoicing features, reducing the need for manual tracking and enabling you to focus on growing your business. You can also set flexible subscription rules, including different delivery frequencies, discounts, and personalized notes for customers.
The app seamlessly integrates with Shopify Checkout, ensuring a smooth and convenient shopping experience for your customers. RecurrinGO! provides valuable insights through detailed analytics, enabling you to make data-driven decisions and optimize your subscription offerings.
- Automatic Charges & Recurring Invoices: Boost revenue by easily charging customers and sending recurring invoices.
- Flexible Subscription Options: Tailor your subscription model to your business needs with pay-per-delivery, prepaid subscriptions, and flexible discount settings.
- Intuitive Customer Portal: Retain and engage subscribers with a personalized and seamless customer portal experience.
- Analytics & Insights: Make data-driven decisions with detailed analytics and insights on subscription rules and customer subscriptions.
- Cancellation & Dunning Management: Reduce churn and improve retention with streamlined cancellation and dunning management for failed payments and expiring cards.
User Rating: 4.7/5 (200+)
7. Seal Subscriptions & Loyalty – The one users rave about
If you're looking to boost your recurring revenue, Seal Subscriptions is a great app to consider. With easy configuration and full control over your subscribers, products, discounts, churn rate, and cancellations, you'll have all the tools you need to manage your subscriptions with ease.
Seal Subscriptions offers classic and prepaid subscription options with discounts, free trial periods, and more. You can also take advantage of tiered discounts, custom shipping, gifts, and loyalty features to incentivize your customers and improve retention.
The app also provides an intuitive customer experience, with magic links that make it easy for your customers to access and manage their subscriptions. Detailed statistics, payment calendars, and other insights help you understand your business and optimize your subscription offerings.
Finally, Seal Subscriptions offers white-label branding with custom email domains, giving your brand a professional and personalized touch. With great support behind the app and a team based in Europe, Seal Subscriptions is a solid choice for any Shopify merchant looking to boost their recurring revenue.
- Sell Classic and Prepaid Subscriptions: Offer subscription options with discounts and free trials.
- Tiered Discounts, Custom Shipping, and Gifts: Incentivize customers with tiered discounts, custom shipping, and loyalty features.
- Intuitive Customer Experience: Customers can easily manage subscriptions with magic links.
- Detailed Analytics and Insights: Get valuable insights into your business with great statistics and payment calendars.
- White-Label Branding: Create a professional and personalized look with custom email domains.
User Rating: 4.9/5 (680+)
8. Recurpay: Subscriptions App - Free for new stores
Recurpay is an excellent choice for a subscription app on Shopify. The app makes it incredibly easy to set up recurring payments and subscriptions with just a few clicks. I tried it out myself and was impressed with its smooth functionality.
One of the standout features of Recurpay is its customizable and multilingual customer portal, which allows your customers to manage their subscriptions themselves and reduces the need for support calls.
In addition, Recurpay offers a pricing plan that is hard to beat. The app is completely free and only starts charging you once you make USD $100 a month from subscriptions. This makes it an affordable and low-risk option for merchants who are just starting out with subscriptions, but still offers robust features and functionality.
- Streamlined configuration of ongoing or prepaid subscriptions for your store, with ease.
- Automated renewal of subscriptions on a specific day or date of each month.
- Empowerment of customers to modify, skip, reschedule, or cancel their subscriptions through a customer portal.
- Automatic synchronization of the latest product prices from your store for subscription orders.
- Compatibility with a range of subscription payment options, such as Paypal subscriptions, Stripe subscriptions, and Shopify Subscriptions.
User Rating: 4.9/5 (280+)
9. Loop Subscriptions - Gamify your subscriptions for more growth
Loop Subscriptions is a highly customizable solution built with direct insights from the DTC community. With this app, you can use Loop Flows to create a gamified subscription experience that enhances your brand image and customer engagement.
One of the best things about Loop Subscriptions is that its subscription widget has no impact on your product page speed, adhering to the best practices for CRO.
Another great feature is the ability to add TikTok/IG videos in your exit surveys inside the customer portal, which can help you gain valuable insights into customer behavior.
Loop Subscriptions allows you to automate and personalize discounts, rewards, trials, or gifts for your subscribers, based on order frequency or value.
The app also offers free white-glove migration with account management and support via phone, email, or Slack, making it a great option for merchants looking to streamline their subscription management.
- Mobile-first customer portal to reduce support tickets
- No-code workflow builder for personalized subscriptions
- Quick setup for subscription boxes/bundles without a developer
- Retention stack includes surveys, discounts, and reactivations
- Smart dunning management to prevent lost revenue from card failures
User Rating: 5/5
Best practices for launching a Subscription Brand with Your Chosen App
1. Know Your Audience
It's important to understand your target audience and their needs when launching a subscription program. For instance, if you're selling supplements, your subscribers are probably health-conscious individuals. Consider offering add-ons or customizations that align with their needs, such as probiotics like Heights does. Knowing your audience will help you create a program that resonates with them.
2. Offer a Trial Period
A trial period is an excellent way to entice new subscribers and build trust with your audience. You could offer a free trial for a week or month, or even a discounted rate for the first few months. This way, potential subscribers can try out your products or services before committing to a long-term subscription. A trial period can also help reduce churn rates by ensuring that your subscribers are happy with your offerings.
3. Keep it Simple
When it comes to subscription programs, simplicity is key. Make sure the process of signing up, managing subscriptions, and canceling is straightforward and easy to use. Avoid complicated terms and conditions, and provide clear communication and instructions at every step. For example, offering a simple checkout process and easy-to-use customer portal can go a long way in keeping your subscribers happy
4. Provide Flexibility
Subscribers appreciate flexibility when it comes to subscriptions. For instance, allowing subscribers to pause or skip a month can help reduce churn rates and retain subscribers. Similarly, offering multiple subscription options, such as weekly, monthly, or quarterly, can cater to different customer needs. Providing options to change or cancel a subscription at any time can also increase customer satisfaction.
5. Personalize the Experience
Personalization can help build a stronger relationship with your subscribers. Consider offering customized recommendations or add-ons based on their preferences and past purchases. You could also send personalized emails, newsletters, or even handwritten notes to your subscribers. Personalization can make your subscribers feel valued and increase brand loyalty.
6. Engage with Your Subscribers
Engaging with your subscribers can help create a community around your brand. Consider hosting events or webinars for your subscribers, sharing exclusive content, or offering sneak peeks of upcoming products. You could also encourage subscribers to share their experiences on social media or leave reviews on your website. Engaging with your subscribers can help build brand loyalty and increase referrals.
Add The Best Shopify Subscription App For Your Store Today!
And there you have it! The top 9 Shopify subscription apps that will make your customers keep coming back for more.
Whether you want to gamify your subscriptions, automate your discounts, or just launch a new subscription box brand, there's an app to help you with that.
So go forth and start your subscription service with confidence, knowing that you've got the best tools on the Shopify platform at your disposal. Who knows, maybe one day you'll be the next Dollar Shave Club, and we'll all be using your app to shave our faces (or our legs, if you're into that)!
“This is one of the best resources I’ve come across in a long time...”
Then start selling for
$1/month for your
first 3 months.